Thursday, March 8, 2012

Family Ties

The Big Bean. Lol.





Gemma, Glen and myself
The trip to Illinois did some real good.  It was a last minute decision to go, and I'm so glad I did!  I spent some time with my cousin, Glen, and his wife and her family.  PS - spontaneous trips like that are fun.. on Monday I asked Glen and Gemma if they were going to be busy that weekend and on Tuesday I booked my flight, lol!  Anyway, there is no therapy like family therapy; being out there, I was able to talk about my situation without breaking down into tears and also be able to live almost as if I wasn't even going through this at all.  They took me out on the town, did a lot of sight seeing and had crazy laughs at the Sears Tower (or Willis Tower, whatever it's called).  Gemma taught me how to make cake-pops, something I can maybe get into while I'm stuck at home over the next few months.  But a big part of what made me come home stronger were the stories Gemma and her sister Grace had shared about themselves and their friends and what they had gone through.  I listened to the experiences of others, and what they eventually were able to overcome.  And they all really did come out stronger in the end.  


Vic, Gemma, Glen, Grace and myself
Thank you to Glen, Gemma, Grace, Ate Jane and Vic for taking me out, being there to talk to, to listen and for just hanging out.  And Drama and Jax... if I could have taken you home without them noticing, I totally would have!!


I got home on Tuesday night.  Yesterday was a tough first full day back.  I thought I was through with the crying!!!  So I kept myself busy.  I had to go to see my plastics nurse, as the medical supply store had ordered the wrong surgical vest for me and she wanted to see if I could get away with using that one.  I can't, so I've got to go back tonight to exchange it for the one I had asked for.  Then I spent some time with Ger and my God-son, Dylan.  Went for bubble tea, and OMG, can Dylan make me laugh!  Ger and I don't get to see each other as often as we'd like, but we're always there for one another, no matter what.  Friends like that are few and far between, not sure where I'd be without her.


Dylan in his Spiderman pajamas
After that, took my cousins who had moved here from the Philippines out job hunting.  Then spent some time with Johann.  He used to be one of my best friends, we used to talk every single day til the sun came up.  To be 19 again... lol.  There was a lot to catch up on. :)


I honestly don't know where I would be without my friends and family.  Not only have they all been there for me as I grieved my diagnosis, but they are also there for me as I grieve the loss of a relationship; Jon and I broke up.  If it weren't for them, I probably would still be living in my bedroom.  I don't take break-ups well, especially not this one.  It was in limbo for almost a week, with failed attempts to reach him and not knowing if I'd ever hear from him again.  For that week, I couldn't get out of bed and I didn't eat... and I probably would still be there right now if it weren't for my sister in law, my cousin and my friends.  They reminded me that I have more reasons to get out of bed than reasons to stay in bed.


Don't know where I'd be without you guys.


Today I am looking forward to spending some more time with Ger, and then dinner with some friends from high school.  It's gonna be a good day. 



1 comment:

  1. I know I'm in another province Vanessa but I think of you every day. You DO have more reasons to get out of bed!! I hope to see you if I visit in June! xoxox

    ReplyDelete